Mountain biking and cycling are very interesting leisure and sporting activities. They strengthen your physical and mental endurance. Both are great activities for rest and relaxation.
In order to enjoy mountain biking activities, it is necessary to understand the structure of the bike, various parts and functions. So that you can build or select a mountain bike according to your ridingstyles and preferences.
A mountain bike with good quality materials can be easier to maintain and safer. Cutting down on the maintenance cost with more durable parts and accessories. Well it is usually not easy for beginners to understand the different parts and mechanism.
To overcome this, the best way is to be “clear and simple”. So that, it is easier to understand better. By breaking them down into major and minor parts with simple descriptions and images.
The major parts includes:
- Crank / chain set
- Brake levers
- Gear levers
- Chain system
- Gear system
The minor parts includes:
- Handle bar
- Bottom bracket
The brief explanation of the various functions are as follows:
1) A frame is an important part of a bike for combining with the other parts. It consist of different designs and materials.
2) A fork is responsible for holding the front and rear wheel.
3) The headset is a set of components between the fork and head tube of the bike frame.
4) A crank is a component that turn the chain to move the rear wheel forward when a cyclist pedal the bike.
5) A brake is for reducing the speed of a bike. The 3 types of bike brakes are rim, disc and drum.
6) Gear levers are for controlling the gearing mechanism and setting the correct gears while riding in different terrains.
7) Chain system is a set of chain and gears combinations that bring the bike forward.
8) The gear systems are for setting the gears. It consist of pedal, chain and sprocket.
9) The handle bar is for controlling, balancing and determine the direction of the bike. It is fix with the hand grip, brake and gear lever.
10) Stem is the component for connecting the handle bar to the steering tube of the bike fork.
11) Saddle is the bike seat. It is available in unique designs and materials for comfort according to different riding styles.
12) Sprocket is a set of wheels consisting of the teeth cogs and chain. It is make of perforated materials.
13) Spokes are long and thin metal parts for supporting the wheel structures.
14) Bottom bracket is a metal structure for connecting the crank set to the bike.
Well, having adequate first hand product knowledge about a mountain bike will provide a good head start in riding a bike with more confidence and enjoyment. Also in maintaining a bike well and knowing what to do when it break down.